Megagames: interactive, engaging learning
Megagames are defined by the Megagame Makers as large games involving multiple players, in which, the participants are organized into teams, and those teams into a hierarchy of teams.” The subject matter can range from politics, economics, history, science fiction and heroic fantasy.
Brief videos describing a megagame:
One site gives a few basic characteristics of a megagame that I shall post here:
A megagame is a growing genre of games that have the following features:
- Teams of players, sometimes organized into a hierarchy of teams
- A dynamic game narrative created entirely by emerging gameplay between players
- Strong interactions between players within teams and between teams
- It often also has ‘sub-games’ that integrate and inter-relate to enrich the overall game narrative.
The information above is taken from THIS SITE.
- Video example of a Megagame in Progress from Shutupandsitdown.com.
- Megagame Makers: www.megagame-makers.org.uk/
Megagame Organizations, Societies, and Companies
Other Links: All of these links (and there are a growing number more mostly in Australia, Canada, and the UK) are focused only on the “Watch the Skies” scenario, which is indeed engaging. But, the folks at Megagame Makers have made many other political and economic scenarios that have nothing to do with aliens.
- Megagame Makers: The original people in London who invented megagames
- Megagame Society
- The Megagame Society Facebook Page
- Jim Wallman’s Game Page: Formally in the British Ministry of Defense, Jim Wallman is a professional game designer and the lead designer of the London based Megagame Society. He is the lead designer of the “Watch the Skies” scenario which currently all the rage world wide.
- West Coast Megagames
- World Turned Upside Down – Ironmark Games: Mega Game of the American Revolution
- Ironmark Games: Producer and facilitator of Megagames
- Pennine Megagames: Producer and facilitator of Megagames
- Alliance: The Ultimate World Leader Political Science Mega-Game: Site for the megagame “Alliance” designed by high school teacher Shaun D. McMillan.
Articles About Megagames
- 300 Players take part in Watch the Skies: Article in Independent online journal
- Welcome to the World of Megagames: 300 players take part… This is an article from the British newspaper Independent about a recent “Watch the Skies” scenario run in May of 2015.
- Cleveland Megagame Council
- Sabotage, alien invasion, and Russian nukes are par for the course in Megagamin
- No, Mr President you can’t just kidnap the world’s scientists
- Megagame in Sunset HS – Explained
- Roleplay ALLIANCE Megagame – Explained
- 60+ Students Play ALLIANCE Political Science Megagame – Trailer
- American Revolution Mega Game
MegaGame Creation Kit: Links to resources that assist in the creation and running of a MegaGame Event.
- What is a Megagame and how to rune one in your hometown
- “Alliance” megagame explained
- Shut Up and Sit Down Video
- MegaGame Society Explanation of Running a MegaGame (long but detailed)
- Human Handbook for “Watch the Skies”
- MegaGame Makers Downloads
- MegaGame Makers: Watch the Skies site
- Watch the Skies: The Megagame of Alien Terror: another site that gives a bit more info